Resident Service>Administrative Services>Marrige Registration
- Marriage registration in Korea
- When a Korean and a foreign national are married in Korea, the legality of the marriage is established by considering laws of both countries. The marriage has to be reported and registered in accordance with Article 71 of the Act on Registration of Family Relationship. For marriage registration, the following documents are necessary: (1) documents proving the nationality of the foreign national (a copy of family register, birth certificate, copy of the passport, etc.) and (2) documents proving that the foreign national can have the legality of the marriage recognized by laws of the foreign national’s country (documents issued by authoritative organizations such as the government and public offices or the embassy of the country of the foreign national).
- Registering marriage overseas
- When a Korean national and a foreign national were married in a foreign country in accordance with the laws of the foreign country, a certified copy of the marriage certificate must be submitted to a head of Korea’s overseas embassy or legation within one month. The Korean national can also carry out marriage registration by sending the certified copy of the marriage certificate to the head of the city (district), eup, or myeon, where the Korean national is registered. The Korean national can also carry out marriage registration by submitting the certified copy of the marriage certificate in person upon arriving in Korea.
- When a Korean man marries a foreign national woman
- When a Korean national man marries a foreign national woman, the foreign spouse does not automatically acquire Korean nationality by registering the marriage. Therefore, the details of the marriage are recorded only in the Korean national man’s Family Relationship Registry. When the foreign national woman is naturalized and acquires Korean nationality, the Family Relationship Registry of the spouse is filled out and filed by naturalization registration.
- When a Korean woman marries a foreign national man
- When a Korean national woman marries a foreign national man, the Korean national woman record details about her spouse, which are stated in the marriage report, in the Special Category Registration Items About the Spouse of her Family Relationship Registry. When the foreign national man is naturalized and acquires Korean nationality, the person fills out and files his Family Relationship Registry.