Seal Registration and Certificate
Resident Service>Administrative Services>Seal Registration and Certificate
- Foreigners who have completed their alien registrations can register their seals and request for certificate issuance.
- Related Laws
- Article 3.3 of Seal Certification Act, and Article 7 of the Enforcement Decree of the same law
- Required Documents
First Time Registration
- When registering a seal for the first time, you are required to make a visit with your Alien Registration Card (or Residence Registration Card), passport, and the seal you plan to register.
- Foreigner seals must contain the full name of the registering foreigner in the English, as written on his/her Alien Registration Card. The first name can be abbreviated (or replaced with a full Hangeul name) but no exception for the last name is allowed. (Example: KEUMJU KIM -> K.J. KIM or 김금주) Those with certification of domestic resident registration should use the name stated on his/her resident certificate.
- Resident registered aliens must visit their respective Community service center for seal registration.
Certificate Issuance Request
- In person: you need to bring your identification (Alien Registration Card or Domestic Resident Registration Card) and passport. Expired identification cards cannot be processed. You must visit the Immigration Office to get an extension prior to seal registration.
- By proxy (a national who is requesting seal certificate of a foreigner): your proxy must bring in his identification card (national registration card, driver’s license, or passport). He shall have a letter for the proxy notarized by a notary's office in the place of residence and then receive apostille certification or certification from diplomatic offices before submitting the letter.(※For domestic resident registration holders, proxies must submit the identification card of the proxy, a letter for the proxy for seal certificate issuance, and the relevant sealed government documentation)
Q) Does a proxy need documentation from an accountant when requesting a seal certificate?
For those with a valid Alien Registration Card or Residence Registration Card, this is not required for foreigners from overseas. As for nationals, these foreigners can bring just their identification card. Or if by proxy, the proxy shall have a letter for the proxy notarized by a notary's office in the place of residence and then receive apostille certification or certification from diplomatic offices before submitting the letter.